Gosfield Hall, Braintree, Essex, England
Record Id: 1483
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The remains of 3 hectares of 19th-century gardens sit within an extensive 18th-century landscape park of about 115 hectares. Since the 1950s the area has been in divided use and ownership.
Brief history of site
Gosfield Hall was originally built in the 1540s by Sir John Wentworth as a quadrangular house ranged around a courtyard. Robert Nugent, who acquired the estate in 1736, carried out work on the landscape and created a mile-long lake as a key element in his new design for the park. The estate was purchased by Samuel Courtauld in 1851. He renovated the Hall, laying out a formal geometric garden around it, and generally improved the park and estate.
Address: Gosfield Hall, Gosfield, Essex, CO9 1SF
Locality: Braintree, Essex
Essex; Braintree; Gosfield
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL775297|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1540
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 115