Goodwood House, Chichester, England
Record Id: 1478
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Goodwood has pleasure grounds and a landscape park developed in the mid-18th century. The park covers some 549 hectares (512 registered hectares) set within a much larger country estate.
Goodwood is now home to a vast array of events and activities and features a golf course, aerodrome and race track. Goodwood Home Farm is the largest lowland organic farm in the United Kingdom (2008) and was the first 100% organically-fed dairy in the country.
Brief history of site
The earliest record of a park is of a medieval deer park in 1597. From 1723 until 1750, the second Duke of Richmond laid out a semi-formal landscape around the Jacobean house, established a notable collection of exotic trees, and erected follies and buildings in the park. The house was re-built after 1750 and the park was extended.
Address: Goodwood, Chichester , PO18 0PX
West Sussex; Chichester; Westhampnett
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU887088|
Opening contact details:
Part of the grounds is now a sculpture park. Please see:
The house is open on Sundays and Mondays between March and October. Please see:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: Before 1597
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4856