Golders Hill Park, Golders Green, England
Record Id: 1472
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The park, originally dating from the mid-18th century, became a public park in 1898. Additions in the early-20th century include sports grounds, a bandstand and a deer enclosure. A walled garden, now with some exotic planting, survives from the earlier period. The café stands on the site of the house, demolished in 1941. The park has a woodland garden walk leading to tennis courts, the Swan Pond and Water Gardens. Other features include animal enclosures, a small zoo and aviary; on the open grass slope are ancient oaks.
Brief history of site
The park originally belonged to a house built in the 1760s. There was a trapezoidal kitchen garden amongst fields arranged as a ferme ornee by means of wooded walks along the field margins with a number of summerhouses. Repton prepared a Red Book, but its effect is unknown. The property was purchased to create a public park in 1898, since when it has undergone many refurbishments. The house was bombed in 1941 and demolished.
Address: Golders Hill Park, off North End Road, London, NW11 7QP
Locality: Golders Green
Greater London; Barnet
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ255868|
Golders Green station. Northern line.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 7.30 until dusk. Please see:
020 8455 5183
Cafe. WCs. Disabled access including parking. Playground and sports facilities.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1760
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 16