Arnos Vale Cemetery, Bristol, England
Record Id: 147
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The cemetery was laid out as an Arcadian landscape with buildings by Charles Underwood of Bristol. The cemetery is laid out on steep, north-facing slopes and on the sides and floor of a combe. The ground on the steeper slopes to the south is generally terraced to form level walks with burial plots and ornamental planting arranged to each side. Features include two chapel, lodges, a war memorial and a number of listed tombs and monuments.
Brief history of site
Arnos Court, a mansion, was built by William Reeves around 1760-65. The estate was divided and sold in 1774 and a villa known as Arno's Vale was built to the west in the early-19th century. In 1837 the Bristol General Cemetery Company was formed and petitioned Parliament for an Act to enable the formation of a general cemetery, shortly after which the Arnos Vale site was purchased and the villa demolished. The cemetery was opened in 1840. Some of the land purchased by the Bristol General Cemetery Company was held in reserve for future expansion.
Address: Bath Road, Bristol, BS4 3EW
Bristol, City of
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST607715|
The cemetery lies between the A37 (Wells Road) and the A4 (Bath Road) in Bristol.
Opening contact details:
The cemetery is open throughout the year from 9 - 5 (or until dusk in the winter months). Opening is at 10 am on Sundays.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: cemetery
Context or principal building: cemetery
Site first created: 1837 to 1840
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 17