Godmersham Park, Canterbury, England
Record Id: 1469
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Godmersham Park is an 18th-century landscape park and wooded farmland of 500 hectares (247 hectares within the registered site). There is a garden area of 8 hectares including 1 hectare of 17th and 18th-century walled gardens developed after 1935. At is largest the site was approximately 1200 hectares (2965 acres).
Brief history of site
The Brodnax family first acquired the site in 1590. In 1727, Sir Thomas May, left them his fortune on condition that Thomas Brodnax changed his name to May. The house was re-built and the gardens laid out at this time. In 1794, the estate passed to Edward Austen (brother of the novelist Jane). His sisters were regular visitors between 1798 and 1813. In 1935 the estate was sold to Mr and Mrs Robert Tritton who restored and further remodelled the house and engaged the designer Norah Lindsay to advise on the formal walled gardens.
Address: Canterbury Road, Godmersham, Canterbury, CT4 7DT
Kent; Ashford; Godmersham
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||179||Grid Ref:||TR062509|
The site is close to the hamlet of Godmersham, 12 miles west of Canterbury, 6 miles east of Ashford, just north of the A28.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1590
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 500