Gilling Castle, Helmsley, England
Record Id: 1416
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Gilling Castle has a terraced garden and landscape setting. The gardens around the house are approximately 30 hectares. There is also a further 390 hectares of former parkland to the south west of the house.
Brief history of site
Licence to impark was granted in the late-14th century. The house was remodelled during the 18th century. The work has been attributed to John Vanbrugh but is more likely to be that of James Gibbs. St Martin's Ampleforth school took over the site in the late 20th century.
Address: Gilling East, North Yorkshire, YO62 4HP
North Yorkshire; Ryedale; Gilling East
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||100||Grid Ref:||SE611768|
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: Before 1399
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 30