Gayhurst Court, Newport Pagnell, England
Record Id: 1411
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Gayhurst Court is an 18th-century landscape park and woodland developed on a site which originated in Anglo-Saxon times. At their most extensive the grounds covered about 300 hectares, with mid-19th century formal gardens of 1 hectare. The park and residence are now in divided use.
Brief history of site
There was a medieval deer park on the site, probably to the south-west of the house. This is shown on a map of 1610. The oldest part of the present house was built in about 1500 on the site of an older manor house. Lancelot Brown was brought in to landscape the park, probably about 1751. Humphry Repton made alterations to the pleasure grounds and park in about 1793. The property was let to the second Lord Carrington from 1842 to 1877, during whose tenancy elaborate additions and alterations were made to the house and garden.
Address: Gayhurst Court, Gayhurst, Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, MK16 8LG
Locality: Newport Pagnell
Milton Keynes; Gayhurst
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP846463|
Between the M1 and B526, north-west of Newport Pagnell.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: multiple dwelling
Site first created: Before 1610
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 100