Gawthorpe Hall, Burnley, England
Record Id: 1410
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Gawthorpe Hall features a landscape park of about 35 hectares, with Elizabethan-style gardens of about one hectare. The formal gardens were designed by Sir Charles Barry for Sir James Kay-Shuttleworth during the period 1850-6 incorporating some elements of earlier 19th-century work.
Brief history of site
The first records of a house on the site date from the 15th century. Gawthorpe Hall was built in the early-17th century, within a landscape park of about 35 hectares. The gardens were redesigned by Sir Charles Barry in 1851, in the Elizabethan style.
Address: Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, nr Burnley, Lancashire, BB12 8UA
Lancashire; Burnley; Ightenhill
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||103||Grid Ref:||SD806340|
On the east side of Padiham, north of the A671.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily all year, 10am to 6pm. Please see:
Parking, refreshments, WCs, shop. Part disabled access. Dogs under close control.
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : Tudor-style garden
Site first created: 1400 to 1499
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 35