Garsington Manor, Oxford, England
Record Id: 1398
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site originated as an Elizabethan manor house. It was bought in the early-20th century by Lady Ottoline Morrell, who restored the garden in the Italianate style. There is also a wild garden. The gardens cover about 4 hectares.
Brief history of site
Garsington Manor House was probably built in the late-16th-century, using the site of monastic buildings formerly owned by Abingdon Abbey. It was re-built around 1630. Philip Morrell and his wife Lady Ottoline bought the house and surrounding estate for £8400 in 1913. Philip and Lady Ottoline developed the formal elements in the garden.
Address: Garsington Manor, Oxford, OX44 9DH
Oxfordshire; South Oxfordshire; Garsington
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP582019|
South of junction 7 on the M40
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site Style : Italianate garden
Site first created: After 1550
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4