Friar Park, Henley, England
Record Id: 1375
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Friar Park is a Victorian fantasy garden created for Sir Frank Crisp in 1896, and restored in the late-20th century by George Harrison. The site covers about 12 hectares, and features grottoes, caves, underground passages, a multitude of garden gnomes, and an Alpine rock garden with a scale model of the Matterhorn.
Brief history of site
In the 1870s this was two small estates: Friar Park and Friar's Field. In the late-1880s Frank Crisp began to draw the two estates together, building a large and ostentatious new house close to the site of the old Friar Park house and demolishing the Friar's Field house to the east. He built extravagant gardens around the house, dividing them into many themed sections, possibly advised by H E Milner.
Address: Friar Park, Gravel Hill, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire
Oxfordshire; South Oxfordshire; Henley-on-Thames
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||175||Grid Ref:||SU754829|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: detached house
Site first created: 1896
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 13