Freshford Manor, Freshford, England
Record Id: 1374
Originally the site was a joint manorship of Robert and Alrick, where Robert lived in a small manor house. Before the dissolution, the Countess of Salisbury, who had founded the Hinton Priory, gave the property to the Carthusians.
However, Henry VIII took the estate for crown property during the dissolution. He then gave it to various lords for services rendered. Eventually the Methuens came to live at the property. In the early 19th century, Sir William Napier rented the property from the Methuens.
Before the 20th century, much of Freshford village was owned by the inhabitants of the manor, but over the years the size was considerably reduced to around 1.4 hectares. In 1955, it was around 4.8 hectares, which included a walled kitchen garden which was sold separately.
When the present owners bought the property in 1956 it was derelict. They have done much to improve the garden, retaining the 19th century concrete reproductions of lead statues that lead to the rockery. The lawn was not terraced before 1956, but was merely a steep bank to the rockery and boundary wall. There has also been much planting since the 1950s. The conservatory (built 1860-70) has been retained. Nearby on the house wall there are some magnolias which may be 150 years old or more.
Feature created: After 1956
The summerhouse may be a converted icehouse.
The stone table is possibly late 18th or early 19th century in date. It is a large stone slab approximately 3.6 metres x 1.8 metres. It stands on six stone legs.
Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II
Feature created: 1860 to 1870
An example of Victorian glass and iron work with a timber base.
Feature created: 1800
On the eastern elevation of the house there is a sundial, built around 1800.