Foots Cray Place, (also known as Foots Cray Meadows), Sidcup, England
Record Id: 1352
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Foots Cray Place consists of two mid-18th-century landscape parks which were incorporated into one estate in the early-19th century.
Brief history of site
Foots Cray Place was built in about 1754 for Bourchier Cleeve. Nicholas Vansittart, Chancellor of the Exchequer acquired Foots Cray Place in 1822, and also purchased the adjoining estate, North Cray Place, eleven years later. Between 1822 and 1832 Vansittart employed William Sawrey Gilpin to make improvements to the joint estate. Lancelot Brown was involved in the development of North Cray Place, which was demolished in 1962. The early-19th-century property of Foots Cray and North Cray was subdivided later in the century. Thomas H Mawson worked at Foots Cray in 1903. In 1949, the house was damaged by fire and pulled down.
Address: Foots Cray Place, Sidcup, Bexley, DA14 5BP
Greater London; Bexley
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ474716|
Rail: Albany Park, Sidcup. Bus: 492, B14.
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1754 to 1766
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 97