Florence Court, Enniskillen, Northern Ireland
Record Id: 1347
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Florence Court is a house of 1750 with later additions in a landscape park. The park was remodelled around 1780 by William King, when earlier avenues were removed. Features include two avenues, a ha-ha, the mid-19th-century Pleasure Ground, lodges, recent planting and a garden house. The walled kitchen garden is now planted with ornamentals. The original fastigiate yew still stands in the grounds.
Brief history of site
The central block of the house was built from 1750. It was set in a Baroque garden layout of converging avenues. In 1770 the flanking wings and pavilions were added, followed by other estate buildings. From around 1780 the landscape park was formed under the direction of William King. The Pleasure Ground was laid out in the 1840s.
In 1953 the estate was transferred to the National Trust. A fire destroyed much of the interior of the house in 1955. It was later reconstructed by the National Trust.
Address: Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, BT92 1DB
Historical County: Fermanagh
|OSNI Discoverer map sheet number:||26||Grid Ref:||H176344|
Seven miles south-west of Enniskillen off the A32.
Opening contact details:
Car park, restaurant, shop.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1740 to 1760
Main period of development: Mid 18th century