Flaybrick Memorial Gardens, Birkenhead, (also known as Flaybrick Cemetery and Birkenhead Cemetery), Wirral, England
Record Id: 1342
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Flaybrick Memorial Gardens was originally Flaybrick Cemetery, a municipal cemetery designed by Edward Kemp in 1864. The cemetery was laid out in the Victorian landscape style, with specimen trees, holly and yew lined paths. An extension added in the 1890s is not part of Kemp's design and is much more open. The site is now a memorial garden and being developed as an arboretum.
Brief history of site
Flaybrick Cemetery was designed by Edward Kemp, assisted by Edward Mills and Messrs Lucy and Littler, architects of Liverpool. The cemetery opened on the 30th May 1864, and was extended in the 1890s. There were originally three chapels, although only two have survived.
Address: Flaybrick Memorial Gardens, Tollemache Road, Bidston, Birkenhead, CH41 0DG
Merseyside; Wirral; Birkenhead and Tranmere
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||108||Grid Ref:||SJ293894|
Close to the M53 junction 1
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily until 6pm.
Parking, refreshments and WCs are available at the adjacent Tam O'Shanter Farm site.
Form of site: cemetery
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: cemetery
Plant type/environment: arboretum
Site first created: 1862 to 1864
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 10.5