Fisherwick Park, Lichfield, England
Record Id: 1334
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Following the 19th-century demolition of the house, gravel extraction has caused significant disturbance to the southern part of the landscape.
There are though significant remains of the northern part of the park landscape, including the pre-Brown walled garden, remains of a neo-classical orangery (which has been badly truncated), ha-has, belt planting and the remains of bridges and cascades. The stables and sections of a service wing of the mansion also still remain, although these are in private ownership and not open.
Brief history of site
Fisherwick Park was formerly the seat of the Earl, then Marquis, of Donegal, who also owned Antrim Castle. The park was laid out by Capability Brown in 1770 for the 5th Earl. There are watercolour views by John Spyers. Over 50,000 trees were planted, for which the Earl was awarded a medal from the Society of Arts.
Address: Elford, WS13 8QQ
Staffordshire; Lichfield; Fisherwick
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||128||Grid Ref:||SK174098|
Form of site: landscape park
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1770
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains