Finsbury Park, Finsbury, England
Record Id: 1328
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Finsbury Park is a late-19th-century public park, occupying 46.5 hectares. Although much of the original design was lost over the years, many of the park's original features have now been restored including the re-landscaping of the American Gardens and Alexander McKenzie’s historical flower gardens.
Brief history of site
Finsbury Park is situated on what used to be Brownswood, a sub-manor of the vast manor of Hornsey and part of the ancient Forest of Middlesex, used for hunting. In the mid-18th century the site became known as Hornsey Wood House and became a popular Tea House and Pleasure Gardens. In 1796 the house was enlarged and partly rebuilt. A public park for the area was first proposed in 1850. The public park was created following The Finsbury Park Act of 1857 in order to provide a much-needed municipal park for local residents and was officially opened in 1869. The structure of the park was designed by Frederick Manable, Superintending Architect to the Metropolitan Board of Works. The park opened in August 1869.
Address: Finsbury Park, Endymion Road, Haringey, London, N4 1EE
Greater London; Haringey
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ316874|
Train/tube (Victoria/Piccadilly): Finsbury Park. Tube: Manor House (Piccadilly). Bus: W3, W5, W7, 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from dawn until dusk.
Cafe, children's play area, WCs.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1869
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 46.5