Felbrigg Hall, Cromer, England
Record Id: 1312
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Seventeenth- and 18th-century gardens covering 2 hectares lie around the house in a wider landscape of 687 hectares of park and woodland, much of which has been returned to agricultural use. The gardens contain a recently restored walled garden containing potager gardens with a working dovecote and an orangery, orchards and lake.
Brief history of site
The Windham (or Wyndham) family acquired the manor of Felbrigg, which included a hall and park, during the 15th century. By 1674 the park covered some 65 hectares, and by 1689 a geometric landscape had been laid out around the Hall. The formal landscape was being dismantled by the mid-18th century, and around this time the hall was also re-modelled by James Paine. During the 1770s and 1780s new plantations were made, a lake created, a new kitchen garden built, and an icehouse constructed. Some of this work may have been carried out by Humphry Repton. The estate declined in the late-19th century. The estate came into the hands of the National Trust in 1969.
Address: Felbrigg Hall, Norwich, Norfolk, NR11 8PR
Norfolk; North Norfolk; Felbrigg
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||133||Grid Ref:||TG193394|
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open between March and December, but are only open daily during the summer season.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1499
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 351