Eynsham Hall, Witney, England
Record Id: 1282
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Originally part of a park and pleasure grounds covering 325 hectares laid out in the late-18th century, 30 hectares of gardens now remain surrounding the house (now a hotel). The gardens date from the mid-19th and early 20th centuries. Robert Marnock worked here in the 1860s, and Owen Jones (1870s)and Ernest George (1900s) were responsible for the terraced gardens close to the house.
Brief history of site
The first Eynsham Hall was built by James Lacy (died 1774) or his son Willoughby. The newly-built mansion was sold in 1778. A large park was created through the enclosure of the surrounding heath in 1781.
Address: Eynsham Hall, North Leigh, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX29 6PN
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Eynsham
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP395123|
On A4095 between Witney and Woodstock
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: Before 1778
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 325