Euston Park, Thetford, England
Record Id: 1272
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Euston Park has gardens and pleasure grounds of 30 hectares set in a landscape park of 200 hectares. The park and gardens were originally laid out by John Evelyn for Lord Arlington in 1691. The site was modified between 1730 and 1748 by William Kent for the 2nd Duke of Grafton and again between 1767 and 1783 by Lancelot Brown for the 3rd Duke of Grafton.
Brief history of site
In 1666 Henry Bennet, later Earl of Arlington, purchased the estate and remodelled the Elizabethan hall into a grand mansion in the French style. In 1671 Arlington received a licence to impark about 830 hectares. The park and garden were laid out in 1691 by John Evelyn. Plans by William Kent for the improvement of the park were carried out in the mid-18th century. The third Duke brought in Lancelot Brown between 1767 and 1769 to further improve the landscape.
Address: Thetford Road, Euston, IP24 2QW
Suffolk; St Edmundsbury; Euston
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||144||Grid Ref:||TL898786|
Opening contact details:
The site is open on Thursdays between June and September. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1666
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 200