Erddig, Wrexham, Wales
Record Id: 1263
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The park at Erddig Hall was landscaped in the late-18th century by William Emes, who removed formal elements of the early-18th-century park. It contains an unusual water feature and some surviving tree planting of the period. The grand formal garden dates from the early-18th century and was designed in the Dutch style around an ornamental canal. Its main features survive unaltered, and have been well restored.
Brief history of site
The original house was designed for Joshua Edisbury and finished in 1687. The property was sold to John Mellor in the early-18th century and passed to his nephew, Philip Yorke. It remained in the hands of the Yorke family until they gave it to the National Trust in 1973. The National Trust restored the gardens.
Address: Erddig, Wrexham, LL13 0YT
Historical County: Denbighshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||117||Grid Ref:||SJ 326482|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily between March and December, weekends only in January and February.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Main period of development: Early 18th century