Elvetham Hall, Basingstoke, England
Record Id: 1249
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Elvetham Hall has formal gardens, traces of early pleasure grounds and a landscape park of about 140 hectares. Around 10.5 hectares of this land forms the present pleasure grounds.
The Hall is now a hotel.
Brief history of site
Permission was granted to make a park at the site in 1359. The park was extended in 1403 and improved in 1591 for a visit by Queen Elizabeth. There were revisions in the late-18th-century by William Emes. Further changes were made around 1860 by S.S. Teulon, and from 1911 to 1912 by William Goldring.
Address: Hartley Wintney, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG27 8AR
Hampshire; Hart; Hartley Wintney
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU782564|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: After 1359
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 140