Eaton Hall, Eccleston, Chester, England
Record Id: 1214
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Eaton Hall has an 18th and 19th-century landscape park which at its most extensive was around 500 hectares, within an estate of about 4400 hectares. This is now in divided use. There is a deer park and woodlands, as well as late-19th and early-20th century formal gardens of around 20 hectares.
The estate is private but the gardens are open to the public on three days each year for charity.
Brief history of site
The first house on the site was built in 1675-1678 for Sir Thomas Grosvenor. The house was re-built after 1802 and re-modelled after 1845 and again after 1869. There is an 18th- and 19th-century landscape park. Formal gardens were added in the late-19th and early-20th centuries.
Address: The Grosvenor Estate, Eaton Estate Office, Eccleston, Cheshire, CH4 9ET
Cheshire West and Chester; Eaton
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||117||Grid Ref:||SJ 414 608|
South of the A55 at Eccleston.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are only open three times a year but private tours are available upon request.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: After 1675
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 500