Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

The land for Eastville Park was purchased by Bristol City Council from Sir Greville Smyth on the 6th of February, 1889. The price was £30,878. A small additional area was purchased in 1894 for £1,227. Many municipal parks were created around this time in all the large cities of Britain. This was in response to the deeply-felt need of the people to offer some relief from the appalling squalor and overcrowding that had developed in the previous hundred years and more.

In Bristol, this need had been articulated in a pamphlet published anonymously in 1871. The pamphlet was entitled ‘A Cry from the Poor: a letter from Sixteen Working Men to the sixteen aldermen of the city'. The authors of this pamphlet drew attention to the need for a ‘people's park' in the working class area of the city. They pointed out that the existing public parks, at Brandon Hill and on the Clifton Downs, were convenient for well-off people who lived nearby, but were of less benefit to the working people in other areas of the city.

Eastville Park was the largest of several open spaces purchased and opened to the public in the 1880s and 1890s by the Bristol City Council. Paths were laid out and trees were planted, and work began on an artificial lake. Initial landscaping work was completed in 1910, and the park has continued to play an important role as the population of the city has increased. The boathouse by the lake has had to be re-built twice after being destroyed by fire in 1913 and 1923, and the swimming pool has been unused since being hit by a bomb in World War 2. Many of the trees planted in the 1890s have now reached maturity and greatly add to the attraction of the park.

Features

tree avenue

Several footpaths are flanked by avenues of mature trees.

lake

Feature created: Before 1910

At the bottom of the slope there is a lake of 3.14 acres, which has been constructed next to, and slightly above, the river. There are two small islands in the lake, both densely planted with trees.

boat house

There is a small boathouse by the lake.

bowling green

In the south-east corner of the park there are tennis courts, bowling greens, a playground, a pavilion and a car park.

pavilion

In the south-east corner of the park there are tennis courts, bowling greens, a playground, a pavilion and a car park.

pool

Feature created: Before 1907

There is also a swimming pool, now disused. The swimming pool was built as a scheme to relieve unemployment, and opened in 1907. It was at first obligatory for bathers to were full costumes when using the pool, but after 1920 bathers were permitted to wear swimming trunks.
During an air raid on Bristol on 24th November, 1940 the pool was damaged by a bomb, and has been disused since then. A scheme is now in hand to reconstruct the pool, partly as a paddling pool and partly as a sunken garden. The work would be undertaken by the Avon County Council Environment Scheme.