Eastgate House Gardens, Rochester, Kent, England
Record Id: 1201
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Eastgate House is a fine Tudor property built in 1591. The garden to the rear was made by Sir Guy Dawber in the 1920s but was substantially altered in 1983 to feature Dickens' chalet which was brought to the site in 1961. There are four main areas of the garden: the first and second occupy the south-eastern third of the site and form both an ornamental setting for the pedestrian path and front gardens for the house and the Community Hub building; the third and fourth form an enclosed garden and lie to the north and north-east.
Brief history of site
This compartmentalised, interconnecting garden has areas which were laid out on the site of a late-18th-century / early-19th-century (and probably earlier) garden surrounding a surviving late-16th-century townhouse. Eastgate House was purchased by the town of Rochester in 1897 as a museum to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. It incorporates a formal garden designed in the 1920s, as his sole garden commission in Kent, by the acclaimed Arts and Crafts architect Sir (Edward) Guy Dawber. The site has not housed the Dickens centre since 2004.
Address: High Street, ME1 1NN
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||178||Grid Ref:||TQ745683|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1897
Main period of development: Early 20th century