Eastbury, Blandford Forum, England
Record Id: 1198
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site contains mainly archaeological remains of an elaborate early-18th-century formal garden scheme of around 15 hectares. The formal gardens are set within related parkland totalling around 120 hectares, much of which has been returned to agricultural use.
Brief history of site
The site, which was then farmland, was purchased by George Dodington in 1709. In 1716, Dodington commissioned plans for a new mansion from Sir John Vanbrugh. Plans for elaborate formal gardens and for the surrounding park were provided by Charles Bridgeman (d 1738) in about 1717. The house was not completed until 1738, and the majority of the mansion was demolished in 1782.
Address: Eastbury, Tarrant Gunville, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 8JL
Locality: Blandford Forum
Dorset; North Dorset; Tarrant Gunville
Historical County: Dorset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||195||Grid Ref:||ST932127|
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1709
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 135