Dyrham Park, Dyrham and Hinton, Near Bath, England
Record Id: 1194
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Dyrham Park has the remains of an early formal garden layout and landscape park. Most of the features of the formal garden are no longer extant. The gardens extend to around five hectares, while the park covers some 105 hectares.
Brief history of site
The development of the present site dates from a grant of free warren to Robert Walerand in 1259. By 1311 Sir William Russel's estate at Dyrham is recorded as a capital messuage with garden and dovecote. In 1511 a licence to impark 500 acres (about 202 hectares) in the manor of Dyrham was granted to Sir William Denys, although only some 250 acres (about 100 hectares) appear to have been taken in to form what is now known as the Old Park. The construction of the baroque formal gardens took place from around the end of the 17th century to the beginning of the 18th century, with advice from George London.
Address: Dyrham, Dyrham and Hinton, SN14 8ER
Locality: Near Bath
South Gloucestershire; Dyrham and Hinton
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST742757|
The gardens can be reached from junction 18 at the M4, then via the A46.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open from March to December, every day at high season but only on weekends through the winter.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: After 1259
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 110