Dunchurch Lodge, Rugby, England
Record Id: 1164
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Dunchurch Lodge has grounds and gardens occupying about 12 hectares, designed by Thomas H Mawson in the early-20th century to complement the new country house.
Brief history of site
The site was purchased in 1804 by Richard Tawney on behalf of the Directors of the Oxford Union Canal Company. Dunchurch Lodge, a substantial house, was built on the site of the present house. The house was destroyed by fire in 1890, and remained a ruin until 1906 when John Lancaster commissioned the Liverpool architect Gilbert Fraser to prepare plans for a new house on the site. The building was completed in 1907, and in 1908 Thomas H Mawson was called in to landscape the grounds.
Address: Dunchurch Lodge, Rugby Road, Dunchurch, Rugby, CV22 6QW
Warwickshire; Rugby; Dunchurch
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP489713|
East of Dunchurch, east of the A426
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: After 1804
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 12