Dullingham House, Newmarket, England
Record Id: 1160
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Pleasure grounds and a landscape park designed by Humphry Repton between 1799 and 1802 surround the house built in 1749. The grounds of 32 hectares are regarded as fine example of Repton's work. The walled forecourt was replaced with a lawn and trees and to the north of the house are wide lawns and herbaceous borders set against extensive walls. The walls are broken by a claire-voie which allows views across to the park across an octagonal banked bowling green which is surrounded by yews. The park is now sub-divided into paddocks and the former stables and walled kitchen garden have been developed separately for residential use.
Brief history of site
The house was built in 1749, probably replacing an earlier building on the same site.
Address: Dullingham House, Dullingham, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, CB8 9UP
Cambridgeshire; East Cambridgeshire; Dullingham
Historical County: Cambridgeshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL627580|
About 4 kilometres south of Newmarket
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1749
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 32