Duddingston House, Edinburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 1156
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The designed landscape at Duddingston House is now in multiple ownership, and includes a golf club and a school, but the character of the informal 18th-century parkland remains. There are 18th- and 19th-century plantings and remnants of water features. Around the house is a late-20th-century formal garden and grass terraces tracing a previous formal garden.
Brief history of site
The deer park at Duddingston House was laid out in 1760 and there is a reference to the involvement of Robert Robinson. Part of the former policies has been used or owned by a golf club since the late-19th century and Holyrood School has occupied another part of the estate since the 1960s. Duddingston House opened as a hotel in 1963 but is no longer trading.
Address: Duddingston House, Duddingston, Edinburgh, EH15 1RB
Edinburgh, City of; Duddingston
Historical County: Midlothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT291723|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1760
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 79.5