Downs School, Wraxall, The , (also known as Charlton House), Bristol, England
Record Id: 1123
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Downs School (Charlton House) occupies a 16th-century site landscaped in the late-18th century and planted with specimen trees in the 19th century.
Brief history of site
The east wing of Charlton House (Grade II listed) probably dates from Elizabethan times (1558-1603). The front hall is Jacobean (1603-25), with restoration dating from 1883.
Address: Wraxall, BS48 1PF
North Somerset; Wraxall and Long Ashton
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||ST494737|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1558 to 1599
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 8.1