Dodington House, Bristol, England
Record Id: 1098
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Dodington House has a landscape park of around 240 hectares. This record was checked with South Gloucestershire Historic Environment Records Officer - June 2010.
Brief history of site
The previous house on the site dated from the mid-late 16th century, and was associated with a large walled garden. In 1712, Atkyns notes that Sir William Codrington 'hath a large house near the Church, and very large and beautiful gardens, and a great Estate in this Parish' (Atkyns 1712). The landscape park was laid out around 1764 by Capability Brown for Sir William Codrington. It was modified in 1793 by Emes and J Webb for Christopher Bethell Codrington. A formal garden was added in 1930.
Address: Dodington, Bristol, BS37 6SL
South Gloucestershire; Dodington
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST752799|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1599
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 240