Doddington Hall, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
Record Id: 1096
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
The Domesday Book records Doddington Hall as the property of the Abbot of Westminster. By the 12th century the manor was owned by the Pigot family. They sold it to Sir Thomas Burgh in 1450 and it was sold in turn to John Savile (died 1630) of Howley, Leeds. In 1593, he sold the manor house to Thomas Tailor (died 1606) who commissioned Doddington Hall from Robert Smythson. The Hall passed first to Tailor's son, Thomas (died 1652) and then his granddaugher, Elizabeth Anton (1592-1658) who married Sir Edward Hussey of Honington. Their son, Sir Thomas Hussey (1639-1706) inherited in 1658 and was the owner when J Kip made his engraving of Doddington in 1705 (Kip and Knyff 1707). Sir Thomas' three daughters were his co-heiresses when he died in 1706. Mrs Sarah Apreece was the surviving heiress and on her death in 1749, her daughter Rhoda, the wife of Captain Francis Blake Deleval of Seaton Deleval, Northumbria (see description of this site elsewhere in the Register) inherited. Mrs Apreece's will specified that Seaton Deleval and Doddington were not to be in the same ownership. Rhoda Deleval's second son, Sir John Hussey-Deleval lived at Doddington from the time of his marriage in 1750. He inherited the property in about 1760 and made many improvements to the Hall and gardens. When Sir John's elder brother died, he inherited Seaton Deleval but would not pass on Doddington to his younger brother Edward. After legal proceedings Edward Deleval received an annuity and inherited Doddington after his brother's death in 1808. Edward Deleval's daughter, Mrs Gunman, who inherited on her father's death in 1814, left the Hall to Lieutenant Colonel George Jarvis in 1829. In 1899 William Goldring (1854-1919) of Kew, landscape gardener, was commissioned by George Eden Jarvis (1840-1919) to design the west garden (Pevsner et al 1989) which was created in 1900. On Mr Jarvis' death the Hall passed to his cousin the Rev Robert Eden Cole (1831-1921). When he died, his cousin inherited and passed the Hall to his son and then his grandson. In the mid-20th century the Hall was renovated and the gardens redesigned. The Hall and grounds remain (2000) in private ownership.
1900: The west garden is restored with the assistance of Kew Gardens.
1950 to 1959: A wild garden is added.
1980 to 1989: A turf maze and Temple of the Four Winds are added.
2007: The walled kitchen garden is reopened after being fully restored with the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund.
People associated with this site
Landscape Designer: William Goldring (born 1854 died 1919)
Architect: Antony Jarvis (Known to have been active 1925 to 1975)
Architect: Thomas Lumby (died 1804)
Builder: Robert Smythson (born 1535 died 15/10/1614)
Feature created: 1980 to 1989
Feature created: 1980 to 1989