Ditton Park, Slough, England
Record Id: 1093
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Ditton Park dates from before 1086, although the present grounds were laid out in the 18th century by Lancelot Brown. The estate covers about 80 hectares, and is designed in the English Landscape style.
The park was shortened by the construction of the M4 motorway to the south.
Brief history of site
Sir John Moleyns, treasurer to King Edward III, inherited the manor of Ditton in about 1330. The following year he was granted permission to embattle his house and, in 1335, was given licence to impark about 17 hectares. A map of 1607 shows a park of 90 hectares stocked with deer. The house is shown as moated with a formal garden to the south. The house was re-built after 1615. Lancelot Brown worked on the site between 1762 and 1774.
Address: Riding Court Road, Datchet, Slough, Berkshire, SL3 9LL
Windsor and Maidenhead; Datchet
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||SU999780|
North of the M4, between junctions 5 and 6, south of Slough.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1330
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 80