Ditchley, Charlbury, England
Record Id: 1092
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The estate at Ditchley originates in the medieval period. The present house was constructed in 1722. The gardens and pleasure grounds occupy about 40 hectares within a park of about 140 hectares.
Brief history of site
In 1583 Sir Henry Lee of Quarrendon, near Aylesbury, Ranger of Woodstock Park, bought a house and land at Ditchley. A license was granted for the enclosure of a substantial deer park in 1603. A new house was constructed in 1722. The formal gardens and pleasure grounds were laid out, and the park landscaped, to complement the new building. Developments since then include works in the 19th century (J C Loudon) and the 1930s (G Jellicoe).
Address: Ditchley Park, Enstone, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 4ER
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Spelsbury
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP391212|
Opening contact details:
Open to groups only, by arrangement only, Mon - Fri only.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: Before 1583
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 180