Arbury Hall, Nuneaton, England
Record Id: 109
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Arbury Hall has an 18th century landscape park with lakes, constructed on the site of a former Augustinian priory. The site covers about 180 hectares, comprising ten hectares of gardens and 170 hectares of parkland and lakes. The gardens in the vicinity of the hall were modified in the 19th and 20th centuries. Features include wisteria, rhododendrons and azaleas, and a rose garden.
Brief history of site
Sir Edmund Anderson, a lawyer and later Lord Chief Justice, bought the site in 1567. He demolished the monastic buildings and constructed a new house around the site of the cloisters. Additions and alterations have since been made, notably around 1750.
Address: Arbury Hall, Arbury, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 7PT
Warwickshire; Nuneaton and Bedworth; Arbury
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP334893|
South-west of Nuneaton
Opening contact details:
02476 382 804
Open Bank Holiday weekends (Sun/Mon) only, Easter to September, 1.30pm to 6pm. Parties by appointment, Tues/Wed/Thurs, Easter to September
Parking. WCs. Refreshments. Dogs on leads only. Shop. Disabled access.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1567
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 180