Dewstow House, Caldicot, Wales
Record Id: 1085
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Dewstow House has extensive and intricate rockwork and water gardens, both underground and overground, created at the turn of the 20th century. The underground gardens consist of top-lit chambers linked by tunnels, with pools, channels, fountains and planting pockets. Overground are more rockwork and water gardens and greenhouses. The gardens are currently being restored.
Brief history of site
The gardens were created by Pulham & Son for Henry Oakley between about 1895 and 1920. In 1940, the estate was broken up and the grottoes filled in. In 1960 the pools and rockwork areas were also filled in. In 2000 the gardens were rediscovered and excavation and restoration began.
Address: Dewstow House, Caerwent, Monmouthshire, NP26 5AH
Historical County: Monmouthshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST 468889|
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily from March to October from 10am. Pre-booked tours can also be arranged.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Plant type/environment: rock garden
Site first created: 1895 to 1920
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.8