Denham Place, Uxbridge, England
Record Id: 1070
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site originated in the medieval period. The remnants of a late-17th-century formal garden are largely overlain by the remains of a small 18th-century landscape park, which at its most extensive covered about 18 hectares. Only about 7 hectares now survive, with a 20th-century formal garden and lawns beside the house.
Brief history of site
An existing house was rebuilt and elaborate formal gardens laid out between 1688 and about 1705. In the late-18th-century these gardens were largely demolished in favour of an informal landscape park. Nineteenth-century developments included formal gardens, which were gone by 1997.
Address: Denham Place, Denham, Buckinghamshire, UB9 5BL
Buckinghamshire; South Bucks; Denham
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||TQ039871|
4 kilometres north-west of Uxbridge and 4km east of Gerrards Cross.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial office
Site first created: Before 1688
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 18