Summary

This site is NOT open to public.

Part/component area of: New Town Gardens, The

Loading...

Brief description of site

The private town gardens on the north bank of the Water of Leith were designed by John Dick Peddie and James McNab in the mid-19th century. They consist of two terraces connected by paths and steps which give picturesque views to St Bernard's Well, a mineral spring within a classical temple designed by Alexander Nasmyth in 1789. The gardens have a particularly good display of spring bulbs.

Brief history of site

When the area north of the River Leith in Dean Village was being developed in the 1860s local residents purchased a section of the steep-sided valley to lay out as pleasure grounds. Daniel Mackay & Co. executed the majority of the layout in 1868. John Jeffrey & Son laid out a newer piece of ground in 1877. The area is now privately-owned town gardens.

Location information:

Address: Dean Gardens, Edinburgh, EH4 1QE

Locality: Dean Village

Local Authorities:

Edinburgh, City of

Historical County: Midlothian

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 66 Grid Ref: NT243741
Latitude: 55.9539 Longitude: -3.2139

Key information:

Form of site: town garden

Purpose of site: ornamental garden

Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces

Site first created: After 1868

Main period of development: Mid 19th century

Survival: Extant

Site Size (Hectares): 5.5

Description

Owner: Dean Gardens Management Committee

Site designation(s)

Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Reference St Bernard's Well

Historic Environment Scotland An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland

External web site link: http://www.scotlandsgardens.org/garden.aspx?id=7fb36009-df23-47f9-89ba-9f0b01104896

History

People associated with this site

Botanist: James McNab (born 1810 died 1879)

Architect: Mr Alexander Nasmyth (born 09/09/1758 died 1840)

Architect: John Dick Peddie (born 24/02/1824 died 12/03/1891)

Features

pavilion

Feature created: 1837 to 1901

spring

terrace

Two terraces connected by paths and steps.

temple

Feature created: 1789

Creator: Mr Alexander Nasmyth (born 09/09/1758 died 1840)

References

Organisations associated with this site

Sources of information

Historic Environment Scotland Gardens & Designed Landscapes Inventory

Historic Scotland, 'The New Town Gardens', Gardens and Designed Landscapes, <http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/gardens_search> [accessed 12 January 2007]

Images

There are no images associated with this site