Antrim Castle, Antrim, Northern Ireland
Record Id: 104
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Antrim Castle was built in phases from 1610 to 1662, remodelled in the early-19th century and destroyed by fire in 1922. Its ruins were demolished in 1970. The grounds were laid out at the beginning of the 18th century in the baroque style. Features include formal canals with clipped lime and hornbeam hedges, a round pond in a wooded wilderness, the mediaeval castle motte remodelled as a mount with a spiral yew walk, and the Deer Park Bridge. A large parterre has been laid out in recent years, and further conservation work is in progress.
Brief history of site
The original castle was Anglo-Norman. Its motte survives in use as a mount with a spiral walk. The later house was built in the 17th century, and was complete in 1662. It was remodelled in the early-19th century, burnt in 1922 and its remains demolished in 1970. The former stable block is now the Clotworthy Arts Centre.
The present gardens were laid out in the first decade of the 18th century. The former deer park was planted with clumps in the early-19th century. Much of the site has been built over, including the former kitchen garden and terrace garden.
Address: Randalstown Road, BT41 4LH
Historical County: Antrim
|OSNI Discoverer map sheet number:||14||Grid Ref:||J141874|
On Randalstown Road, Antrim.
Opening contact details:
The grounds are open weekdays 9.30 am to 9.30 pm, Saturday 10.00 am to 5.00 pm, Sunday 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm.
There is no charge for individual admission. Guided tours for groups can be arranged for a fee.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Site Style : Baroque
Site first created: 1700 to 1710
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 15