Dallam Tower, Milnthorpe, Cumbria, England
Record Id: 1036
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Dallam Tower has an 18th-century deer park of 75 hectares with 10 hectares of woodland. Other features include a natural rock garden and a water garden. There are also three hectares of 19th- to 20th-century ornamental gardens.
Brief history of site
Dallam Tower has a deer park which dates from the 18th century but probably has earlier origins. There is a plan of 1614 showing a house with formal gardens on the east and west sides. Further ornamental features were added during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
Dallam Tower was originally a pele tower which was created in about 1375. The tower was demolished between 1720 to 1723 and replaced with the present house.
Address: Dallam Tower, Milnthorpe, Cumbria, LA7 7AG
Locality: Milnthorpe, Cumbria
Cumbria; South Lakeland; Beetham
Historical County: Westmoreland
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||97||Grid Ref:||SD 490 810|
Between Milnthorpe and Arnside, at the junction of the A6 and B5282.
Opening contact details:
A public footpath runs through the deer park. The gardens are open only very occasionally. Telephone 01539 563368
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1614
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 75