Dalkeith House, (also known as Dalkeith Palace), Dalkeith, Scotland
Record Id: 1035
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Dalkeith House is situated between the Rivers North and South Esk which flow through the policies. The estate was renowned for its woodland of many ages and still contains ancient oak trees and 19th-century ornamental woodland with walks through it. A mid-19th-century conservatory, designed by William Sawrey Gilpin, survives although the formal parterre around it has disappeared.
Brief history of site
The estate belonged originally to the Douglas family but has been in the ownership of the Buccleughs since 1642. The Deer Park was first enclosed around this time. A formal design dating from before 1750 was altered in the mid-19th century to an informal layout. Many architects were involved in this site, including the Adam family.
The house was the principal residence of the Buccleugh family until after World War 1. It has since been let for business and educational purposes. The 19th-century ornamental gardens around the house have largely been lost but the wider policies and parkland have become a Country Park.
Historical County: Midlothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT333679|
Opening contact details:
Dalkeith Country Park is open daily in season.
Form of site: country park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: public park
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 431