Antony, Caradon, England
Record Id: 103
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Antony has late 18th-century gardens of 30 hectares, which were extensively replanted in the 20th century. The gardens lie within a larger estate of park, woodland and agricultural land. The estate is now in divided ownership, the house and about 12 hectares of the gardens belonging to the National Trust.
Brief history of site
The estate has been in the hands of the Carew family since the early-15th century. The gardens were developed from about 1710 onwards, with Humphry Repton's 1792 proposals for the site partly implemented. A walled garden and parterres were laid out in the late-19th century, possibly to the designs of H. Inigo Triggs. Extensive rhododendron planting took place in the 1930s.
Address: Antony, Torpoint, Cornwall, PL11 2QA
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||201||Grid Ref:||SX417563|
By road, the site lies six miles west of Plymouth via Torpoint car ferry, two miles north-west of Torpoint, north of the A374, 16 miles south-east of Liskeard, and 15 miles east of Looe.
By bus, take the 80/1 from Plymouth, alighting at Great Park Estate.
The site lies on National Cycle Route 27.
Opening contact details:
The site is open to the public. See website for details.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: mansion house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1710 to 1792
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 130