Dagnam Park, Havering, (also known as Dagnams), Havering, England
Record Id: 1027
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Now reduced in size from the original, it is a public park with a variety of habitats. Dagnam house was demolished in 1948 as was Cockerels house to the south, known as Dagnam Park Farm in the 19th century and standing outside a moated site, part of the moat surviving today. The public park preserves its 18th-century boundaries, together with some of the landscaped features, specimen trees and ponds; a curving track that crosses the park follows the line of the 18th-century drive. Hatters Wood, Havering's largest woodland, is now within the public park.
Brief history of site
The manor of Dagenhams and Cockerels comprised two adjoining tenements, which after a complex history passed to the Earl of Northumberland in the 14th century. The name Dagnams or Dagnam came into use in the 18th century. Sold several times over the years, the manor was purchased in 1772 by Sir Richard Neave, who rebuilt the house and sought Humphry Repton's advice on landscaping the grounds. It remained in his family until 1948 when the house and 500 acres around Dagnam Park were sold to the LCC to build the Harold Hill Estate, Dagnam Park itself retained as a public park.
Address: Dagnam Park, Havering, Romford, Greater London, RM3 9ES
Greater London; Havering
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ546928|
On the north-east side of Havering
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 76