Culford Park, Bury-St-Edmunds, England
Record Id: 1014
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
There are terraced gardens and pleasure grounds of 4 hectares and a walled garden of 4 hectares set in a larger park of 202 hectares. The plans for the park were designed by Humphrey Repton in 1792.
Brief history of site
From at least 1429 the Coote family had lived at Culford. 'T. Wright' (possibly Thomas Wright (1711-86), the nationally renowned landscape gardener) produced a map of the park dated 1742 which shows a formal landscape of avenues, rides and vistas, through geometrically shaped blocks of woodland. Between 1790 and 1796 Samuel Wyatt was commissioned to remodel the house and in 1791 Humphry Repton provided advice on landscaping the park, preparing a Red Book in 1792. In 1889 the estate was sold to the fifth Earl Cadogan who commissioned the architect William Young to completely remodel the house in the Italian style. New stables were built, the gardens were altered and considerable additions made to the village.
Address: Culford, Bury-St-Edmunds, Suffolk, IP28 6TX
Suffolk; St Edmundsbury; Culford
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||155||Grid Ref:||TL830700|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: Before 1429
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 210