Artificial Stone 4: Post-Coade potteries
While Eleanor Coade's factory was the dominant player in the artificial stone market in the late 18th and early 19thc there were others. A few using their own magic mixtures and from the 1820s onwards others began using the new invention of Portland cement. So when William Croggan went bust in 1833 there were several other entrepreneurs ready and able to move in and pick up the pieces.
This post is about two of them - Mark Blanchard and John Marriott Blashfield whose careers ran in parallel through the mid-late 19thc. Their architectural and decorative faux stone and terracotta work can be found all over the country in buildings like the V&A, as well as structures like Chelsea Bridge, and their garden statuary, urns and other ornaments are in many historic gardens and are now very collectable.
Read on to find out more from the Parks & Gardens UK blog......Artificial Stone 4: Post-Coade potteries