Key Stage 2 A local history study
Historic public parks offer teachers a fascinating subject for a Local Study investigation in history. They provide tangible evidence of the lives of past communities; they encapsulate the values and tastes of the time; are easily accessible; and are familiar places to children.
They will also enable you to develop valuable research and fieldwork skills.
- 1) About this activity
- 2) Suggested teaching strategy
- 3) Who created our park and why?
- 4) What did our park look like?
- 5) What was in our park?
- 6) How did people enjoy themselves in our park?
- 7) What did children do in our park?
- 8) What events happened in our park?
- 9) Who used our park?
- 10) Who worked in our park?
- 11) What is remembered in our park?
- 12) What was our park used for during the two world wars?
- 13) How has our park changed and why?
- 14) Obtaining resources