Cirencester Abbey, (also known as Abbey House, Cirencester), Cirencester, England
Record Id: 6908
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site was the town seat of the Masters family, situated next to the parish church of the site of the former abbey. A semicircular terrace is the only remnant of the later house, the site of which is now occupied by flats. The grounds are now a public open space extending down to the River Churn and retaining the general form of the late-17th-century landscaping.
Brief history of site
The house was built on the site of the cloisters of the formal Abbey and the gardens and orchard incorporated the former Abbey grounds up to the fishponds in the River. This was a formal axial-structured garden with many formal vegetable growing areas and orchards in the 17th century. The house was rebuilt and the garden and park landscaped by William Donn, a pupil of Brown, around 1774. Further extension was undertaken by Wyatt in the 19th century. The house was demolished in 1968.
Address: Gosditch, Cirencester, GL7 2QU
Gloucestershire; Cotswold; Cirencester
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||163||Grid Ref:||SP024022|
In public park west of St.John's Church
Opening contact details:
The site is now in a public park.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1600 to 1650
Main period of development: Early 17th century