Bedgebury National Pinetum, Cranbrook, England
Record Id: 338
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Bedgebury Park
Brief description of site
The National Pinetum at Bedgebury was established as the National Conifer Collection in 1925. It is now recognised as the most complete collection of conifers on one site anywhere in the world. The collection has over 10,000 trees specimens growing across 320 acres (129 hectares); including rare, endangered and historically important specimens. The Pinetum is home to some 91 vulnerable or critically endangered species and five NCCPG National Collections (Yew, Juniper, Thuja, Lawson Cypress and Leyland Cypress) and contains some of the oldest and largest examples of conifers in Britain.
Brief history of site
Bedgebury was owned by Viscount Beresford and his family from 1836 to 1890 and the oldest conifers in the present collection, around Marshall's Lake, were planted during this period. After the division of the estate in 1919, the Forestry Commission began to plan and plant the site in association with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, following aesthetic principles with the aim of creating a National Pinetum containing the most comprehensive collection of conifers in the temperate world. The work was carried out in the late 1920s under the direction of W Dallimore and W Castle of Kew who laid out a series of broad formal avenues and linking walks.
Address: Goudhurst, TN17 2SL
Kent; Tunbridge Wells; Goudhurst
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ723338|
The site is 3 miles south of Goudhurst and 2 miles north of Flimwell off the B2079.
Opening contact details:
Form of site: managed woodland
Purpose of site: pinetum
Plant type/environment: arboretum
Site first created: After 1836
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 129