Sheffield Botanical Gardens, South Yorkshire, England
Record Id: 2954
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site has an irregular shape, with a semi-formal layout. There is a path on the central axis of the pavilions, terminating with a fountain constructed in 2004 to resemble Marnock's original design. The combined efforts of the Sheffield Botanical Gardens Trust and the Friends of Botanical Gardens, Sheffield have raised £1.22 million in matched funding for restoration. Fund-raising continues for special projects, such as the Evolution Garden, which was created in 2008/9.
Brief history of site
The botanical gardens were laid out by Robert Marnock, its first curator, between 1834 and 1836. At the same time, the gatehouse, pavilions and south lodge were built by B.B. Taylor, the architect appointed by the first owners (The Sheffield Botanical and Horticultural Society). Since 1998, the site has been substantially restored.
Address: Clarkehouse Road, Sheffield, S10 2LN
Locality: South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire; Sheffield
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||111||Grid Ref:||SK335863|
The site is 1 mile south-west of Sheffield city centre, and has good public transport links. The gardens have no car park.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open throughout the year. Opening times vary. Please check the website for details.
Form of site: botanic garden
Purpose of site: botanic garden
Context or principal building: horticultural
Site Style : gardenesque
Site first created: 1834 to 1836
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 7.7